You couldn't make this up

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Brogowicz, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

• Like Like x 1
  2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Just crazy.

Whats sad/scary is it's likely just the tip of the iceberg in college athletics. Can anybody deny that now?

3. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Miami is gonna be falling on the sword for them all

4. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Happens everywhere to some degree. It's impossible for the schools to control their boosters, not that they want to. I don't really know what the solution to this problem is. Part of me feels like they should just stop trying to say that these kids are "scholar-athletes" and let them get what they can. The rules as they currently are are unenforceable.
    Have you guys noticed that the only time schools get in trouble is when a story hits the news? Yahoo! Sports is about to be 2 for 2.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

They can control them, that's what the compliance office is for. The issue is that they don't want to control them.

6. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I agree to a certain extent, but this guy would've found a way to get to the players without the coaches' help if he needed too. When you've got 18 and 19 year old kids being offered money and girls, you're never going to be able to keep them all from saying yes. That Sports Illustrated article about agents talks about how they use runners to get to star athletes. Unless you are going to monitor your players 24/7, I don't see how you can stop it from happening.

7. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

The rules are the rules - as outdated and unenforceable as they may be. The Shapiro story is crazy because this guy was (clearly) so void or morals and ethics (see billion dollar ponzi scheme) and so willing to do anything to align himself with a world he had no place in (college athletics). There's a sad, sad story in here, but it's impossible to feel bad for this guy.

I don't know the answer to these problems, but the university has the obligation to police this and ensure that compliance is enforced. It's not like they don't have the revenue to do so. When the NCAA hammers the university and takes away some of those sources of revenue, the rest of the universities will take note and find the motivation to figure it out.

Ultimately, I think this (and the onslaught of these types of issues we've seen these past 18 months) will lead to greater reform and, hopefully, a set of rules that make sense for collegiate athletics and are both easy to understand and easier to enforce. I can only hope that this also speeds up the journey to the 8-team college football playoff system.

8. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Seems like most schools just think they can get away with it. I think the most ironic part of all of this is that it was the Miami's AD, Paul Dee, who headed the Infractions Committee and handed down USC's punishment, condemning the program.

From a CBS Sports article

"Which is why the Paul Dee story is such fertile laughing ground. The longtime Miami athletic director who worked as the chairman of the NCAA's infractions committee and was always there for a sanctimonious "You should have known better" and "You should do it like we do at Miami" is the new centerpiece for a cavalcade of fools and hypocrites."

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/15468540

9. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

That is arguably the best part of the story. We've seen this time and time again. Those in power handing down judgements of others that turn out to be no better (if not worse) than the people they were judging. From anti-gay politicians that turn out to be gay (or just perverts) to holier-than-thou hypocrites, it just seems to keep happening.

• Like Like x 1