YOU Decide! (Poll Inside)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Basis4aDay56, May 17, 2011.

?

Should this be allowed?

1. No

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Yes

22 vote(s)
    95.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

This was posted by Obmij76.

I'll keep my comments out of this for now. Please vote in the poll!

-----

Im a PS3 guy and interested in returning to the Tour but I cant play Thursdays anymore. Would I be able to squeeze in on a Wednesday or do 2 rounds Monday and 2 rounds Tuesday with someone?

2. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I voted yes under the assumption that the final round would be played on Wednesday as often as possible in this case.

3. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    I'd hate to see us loosing people,cause the times are not working for them...

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

@Obmij76

As long as you can get all four rounds in before Thursday, or if you may somehow be able to get your final round in on some random Thursday, then this will not be a problem! The only thing I do NOT want to see happen is deadlines getting extended. If you can, try to get all four rounds in tonight so that you can get in on The Players.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I think this goes back to the Live Weather discussion. Picking weather and making everyone play under those conditions is not as realistic but is more fair, at least in my opinion. It also allows people to do things like this, since not everyone can play Tiger 3 days a week.

I voted yes regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

About live weather -- Sawgrass is only an hour or two away from me. Monday I thought we were going to have some big heavy gusty winds, it was windy as hell down here on Monday. But the winds weren't bad, playing round one hovering around the 10 MPH range. Yesterday was much calmer, yet the winds were identical.......just got me wondering I guess.

Thinking out loud I guess, or throwing that out there as food for thought.....

7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I've thought this as well. Back when Del was actually playing, me and him played a practice round on "Pro" on accident. We noticed the wind was very calm, 5-8mph. When we played our real round with Huskie on Tour Pro - 10-15mph. I was like... well this is odd...

Bottom line - live weather is not what we think it is. Its probably some interpretation of it - but not truly "live" in the sense that we are expecting. I would have mentioned my story had I remembered it. Try it and see for yourself what I mean.

8. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I 100% agree. I was all for live weather at the start, but after speaking to Dub-Ya last night during our round and then testing live weather after, i have to say im not sure its the way forward.

Following our round, i checked the weather at St Andrews in Scotland. The weather there was light rain, and 18mph winds. I fired up a "live weather" round as if to play online and it chucked out - "Calm and Cloudy". Which ended up being 6mph winds and no rain in sight.

With Pebble Beach and St Andrews coming up, the wind should really be blowing around gale force for a few of the rounds to make the course play as it is supposed to. If the wind is only going to hit 10 > 12mph and no rain (especially at St Andrews) people are just going to take the courses apart, which will be a shame. St Andrews and Pebble Beach are great great challenged when the wind is blowing up in the 20's. I dont think live weather is going to get us anywhere near that. I'd like to see a bit of rain too...

Augusta was good because the challenge is the lightening fast green and their big undulations. Pebble Beach and St Andrews thrive on the wind, it would be a shame to see -50 win the US or UK open because the wind never got above 12mph.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

I agree that we shouldn't alienate guys who want to be solid members of the lg either. I say yes and just have him play the regularly scheduled 3 rounds that he can make and then do his 4th round wednesday. Also totally agree that he has to get them in by Thursday like everyone else.
    As for the live weather, it's not at all live....I've heard the story of how they determine it and wish I could remember exactly, but they're not plugged in to a live weather channel feed. I wanna say they update it every few hours but not sure.
    Totally agree on the British Open needing to be windy...it's the only defense that course has other than the unfair hard/expert pin placements that we probably shoudn't use cause you can't get a putt to stop within 12 ft of the hole.

10. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

I'm pretty sure that how/from/what ever the live weather gets it feed from does in fact only update every several hours. But what got me is the fact that from Monday to Tuesday the wind conditions I actually experienced were completely different, Monday was blustery and Tuesday had a slight breeze. My online rounds were the exact same wind conditions -- had scratching my head.

11. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Im cool with this...im just having fun getting as frustrated with this game as I do playing real life. How can say no to someone who wants to experience the same feeling :D

12. Alviston

Alviston Walk On

Being able to play rounds in approximately 30 minutes each, I know a lot of times I would rather just keep playing. Easy to set aside one night, three sometimes can be tough.

• Like Like x 3
  13. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Can we get a poll on live weather. It seems that most who are commenting are against it and moving toward a more fair system where the weather is set ahead of time and in turn allows people to play the 4 rounds at their leisure as opposed to scrambling to play a round a day currently.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I would like to also support this poll proposal.

15. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

Again, I agree this may be best for scheduling but there is no fair way to do it. If you set it to breeze there is no way to control the win for everyone being 20 MPH from the north. This will most defiantly effect the par 5s and reach-ability for some not all. Live weather, although not perfect, is the fairest way to do it. And also, the weather at Ponte Verda Beach was pretty close to what is actually was. How do I know this? No I don't live next to Sawgrass, I can look on the website weather.com and see what the weather is. And not that I don't believe that dub-ya's back lot, errrrrrrrrrr I mean yard, was not breezy, there could have been different weather an hour away. Weather.com reported weather at 12 AM today as clear winds at 9 MPH. Pretty damn close to clear and winds between 11-14 MPH I dealt with.

16. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

Hey, nice shot man.....the only thing I questioned was Monday and Tuesday. Monday was windy as hell, Tuesday not even close, just a light breeze -- the rounds I played online for Monday and Tuesday? Exactly the same wind conditions. Every round I played had the same winds, ranging from 8-16 MPH, ALL of them. I'm just merely relaying information, I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything. I think Live Weather IS the easiest way to handle things. I would not want to be the the who needs to find a way to "fairly" make up and set the wind and weather conditions for four rounds in every tournament.........

17. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Give or take the few MPH wind on some days, thats not really the problem. Its people who play round 1 on Monday for example and get 15 mph winds, then someone plays a make-up round on Wednesday with 2mph winds. If both are supposed to be shooting a round 1, then clearly the 3 mph difference you get on breezy is not the issue. Likewise its possible that on a Wednesday someone gets rain and a slower green and on Monday there is no rain... im sure you get my drift. A weather setting, whilst the wind may fluctuate a few mph, is fairer.

Also St Andrews & Pebble Beach are coming up... you need wind around there, its the only defene the course has. Live Weather doesn't guarantee this.

• Like Like x 1
  18. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I just don't understand how you see live weather as fair. We already allow people to golf round 2 and 3 on Tuesday OR Wednesday. How is that fair. Maybe the settings change a little bit but at least we can get the settings that make sense for our MADE UP VIDEO GAME GOLF LEAGUE!!!!

For the love of god, we don't have to do live weather because we are playing a video game. We have the ability to make it as even as possible and all everyone wants to do is simulate real life in our fake golf league.

19. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

I think we all are agreeing on the same point but just different way of getting there. I believe the bottom line is, more of an effort needs to be made to get rounds IN on monday and tuesday when the majority of golfers are playing. If your schedule only allows you to play on Wednesday, tough shit, don't play. If this was an NCAA league, people would be thrown out for only playing one day. It is 30 to 40 minutes max a round and it is not that big of a commitment to play it when it is suppose to be played unless you have something going on. Its video games, we all have a real life, but if we played on the weekends, I would not have done this, because a lot of my weekends are booked out of town because of my job. If you have shit going on during the week where you can't play maybe you need to reevaluate if you can play in this. The only other thing I can think of is playing 4 rounds in 4 days and aloowing some make up in that period.

Again I think if you set the weather you are going to have the same problems when people don't get the same wind direction in rounds separated by an hour. As far as concerns of lots of wind at St. Andrews and Pebble, lets look at the 10 day forecast, find a 'windy' day and see how accurate it is. If it is, dead issue, if not, we'll have to discuss as a group, right?

20. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    You shouldve seen this coming :),but I have to disagree with you on the first part... from first hand experience.,at the Masters I knew exactly what I need to catch up Dub-ya,and at the Players I had no clue what Bulldog will do in his extra 2 rounds.I was happy to see he was able to get his rounds in,if he didn't me winning after his 58 was going to jsut feel wrong.The difference in TW Tour compared to other leagues, is the most fun part of the experience for me is the amount of people participating.I think as long as is not abused,maximum schedule flexibility should be allowed,cause having a tournament with 30-40 people will be much more fun,then one with 15.

As far as live weather goes I ain't touching this :doodie: with a 10 ft pool,after being grilled pretty good :D...Ok I'm lying,I'm not gonna give any opinions or suggestions,however...There was a kid on the TW forums StormJr who is a real life meteorologist...He was very active when a discussion about the variable winds was raging a year ago...I'll shoot him a message to see if he has any inside on where EA gets their feed from,and how often is updated and report here...

21. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

@atjev21

I posted this earlier in the week.... 2nd paragraph. This is what made me really start to doubt the live weather.

22. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

Again, I don't disagree, but lets give it a go this week, and see how accurate it is. Maybe it was off, maybe it was wrong, but we need to do it more than one time to see.

23. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

Agree to disagree. I don't think you can do live weather and have someone shoot 3 rounds on Thursday. I also do not think it is fair to the leader or whoever is chasing him to do it this way. One man's opinion.

24. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

right. What's wrong with this. If there's a thursday night deadline to have all four rounds done then have all four rounds done by thursday night right? I only read like the first few posts, so if I'm out of whack forgive me :)

25. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

oh live weather:

I've played 8 rounds and the weather has been roughly the same in all 8 rounds. Sometimes the wind is a little more or less but it's all basically been the same. I don't know if I buy it either, but then again I've never done any research.

However,

I live 2 hours ish SW of Sawgrass, and it wasn't really windy at all any day this week by the time we tee'd off. There was a slight breeze one day and that's it. But the tourney rounds were all basically 10-15mph.?? Left me scratching my head, but in florida the weather can differ drastically between the beach and mainland, and can be drastically different just a few miles away.

But if it's live weather I would think everyone is getting the same weather, and it seems fair to me. But whatever yall want to do. Except the notion of just ratcheting the wind up to make things harder. That seems really over the top to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.