Youngbloods: Decide to play them?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Aug 4, 2012.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

If you have any incoming true freshman, redshirt freshman or any player that didn't start last year use this thread to document how they've done in their first season.

2. controllerabuser

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] TE JON PARSONS - Jon Parsons added a new dimension to the playbook for us. A versatile tight end with great speed and good size. He beat out Esterline and Funchess for the right to start and made an impact week 1. 5 catches for 60 yards with 31 yards after the catch.

[​IMG] FS Aaron Hunter - Hunter is an absolute beast that should be starting for the next 3 years unless he leaves early which he has the talent and ability to do so. Hunter made 6 tackles, 4 being solo with 1 TFL. The biggest contribution by our youngsters by far with a pick six for 92 yards.

[​IMG] MLB Nick Preston - Preston is playing behind MLB Jones but does get some clock. He came in highly touted and chose us over that shitty school in Ohio. Preston made 3 tackles with 1 being solo.

[​IMG] CB ASHTON TATUM - Tatum was another highly sought after recruit that looked to be promising. With great skills at both the receiver and cornerback position, we decided to play him at both and also in the return game. Tatum plays nickle downs and at the 4th slot receiver on offense. He made 3 solo tackles and 1 sack on a great blitz call.

[​IMG] SS DARRIUS JACKSON - Jackson compliments Hunter at the safety position. This tandem is going to be a force to reckon with! Jackson made only 1 solo tackle but did register 5 total tackles with a TFL and a sack.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

[​IMG]

Tate is going to be playing on both defense and offense for the Buckeyes. He is a change of pace back with world class speed and will be starting at CB.

In his first game as a Buckeye, the 5* recruit had -

12 Carries for 52 yards
    3 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack and 2 pass deflections
    1 catch for 6 yards

(he did go down with slight injuries 2 times so I may have to restrict his playing time a little)

[​IMG]

The 1* recruit out of Ohio will be starting at Fullback. In his first game as a Buck, he had 1 TD catch as well as 2 pancakes. He is a very good young run blocker and has decent hands. Look for the backfield combo of McLaughlin and Tate to be part of the Buckeye offense for the next 4 years.

[​IMG]

Goddard will start at MLB in his first season which is something that rarely happens at Ohio State. He has good speed and tremendous block shedding skills. In his first game, he lead the Bucks in tackles with 5 and had 1 sack. A star in the making and he is out of PA!

• Like Like x 3
  4. controllerabuser

Still not changing #s?!?!?!?!

5. controllerabuser

PA sure gives us great recruits, don't they?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

?

7. controllerabuser

Gamechanger like Tate is and you have him as #40?!?!?!?! lol

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. I change all the numbers of incoming guys because they stick them with dumb ass numbers. I don't go to the extreme like T2 does though haha

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

One of my favorite backs.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  9. controllerabuser

You got lucky...

He came in with #40 or did you change it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Changed it.

11. controllerabuser

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I change my guys numbers for certain reasons. Like when I have a guy come in that reminded me of a past Hawkeye, automatic # change.

13. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I pretty much decided to throw all my offensive young guys in some formations at skill positions and Thomas at QB in the Wildcat and the one formation that I have a read option play. When I get to conference play I will narrow down who is doing what. All 3 QB's have a role in the offense right now. On defense Reggie Weber starts and he is pretty much the only young guy that will see a lot of action on that side of the ball. He is a JuCo player tho so hes not that young.

14. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Iowa will see 4 true freshman playing at different times on the field this year. All of them cracked the two deep, but only one slotted in as a starter so far.

Michael Holmes.png

Holmes stepped in at WR straight out of fall camp. This guy has an amazing upside, and basically slotted right in as Keenan Davis left. In the opening game against Texas A&M, Holmes recorded 3 catches for 58 yards and 2 TD's. Not a bad debut.

JP Brooks FR.png Josh Jackson FR.png Donald Coleman FR.png

Brooks, Jackson and Coleman all played snaps in the first game against A&M, but none recorded any measurable stats. Brooks did take two snaps, but was just in for some handoffs. Jackson and Coleman both were playing in the Nickel formations, but with playing against a heavy run game, they didn't see many snaps.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    Diggs is the only Freshman on the roster that is in a starting role. With the loss of Kerry Boykins, he's going to be relied on heavily to be a play maker. So far he hasn't disappointed as he had 6 rec, 146 yards, and 1 TD against Army in the season opener.​

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

True Freshmen WR Andrew Thompson, DE Darrell Walker, OLB Ryan Morse, and FB Terrence DeAngelis will all start at their respective positions for PSU this season. CB Grant Shelton will be the Nickle DB, and CB Michael McKenzie will find time in the Quarter and 3-6-2 schemes.

WR A. Thompson: 7 Recs 177 YDs, 1 TD
    DE D. Walker: 13 Tkls, 11 TFL, 11 Sacks, 2 FF
    OLB R. Morse: 6 Tkls, 1 FF
    FB T. DeAngelis: 4 Pancakes
    CB G. Shelton: 5 Tkls

I will make this pretty when I get home from vacation. Be happy I'm doing content while at the beach to begin with.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  17. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Iowa's young guns saw a whole different result in their week 2 game. There were some huge contributions from freshmen in the win over in-state rival, Iowa State. No better way to teach them about a rivalry. The biggest contributors were on offense, but the defense showed up as well.

On the offensive side of the ball, JP Brooks got it going with 3 rushes for 83 yards and 2TD's. He ran the read option effectively, and also managed the game very well in the second half. His first throw of his career was pretty errant, but after his big TD run, he settled right in and converted a big 3rd down pass on the next drive.

A little talked about freshman player is RB Barkley Hill. Hill is currently #4 on the depth chart, but seeing his playmaking ability against Iowa State could get him a few more touches in upcoming games. He broke two beautiful runs against the Cyclones, and totaled 86 yards on just 4 carries while crossing the goalline twice. Hill is an Iowa native that redshirted last season, and looks to be a productive backup to Jordan Canzeri.

On the defensive side, CB Donald Coleman had his first big moments of his freshman season, racking up 6 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 sack, and his first interception of his career, which he returned for a touchdown late in the game. This guy is going to be something special.

Free Safety Josh Jackson also made in impact. He managed 4 tackles while recording two of those for a loss of yardage.

Wide Receiver Michael Holmes was quiet, only recording 1 carry for two yards and a dropped pass, but the passing game was limited as this game was in hand early in the 3rd quarter.

18. controllerabuser

Darrius Jackson 1st Career INT!

19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Updated the original post.