Your 2017 CUSA Defensive MVP Race

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by CoachRedd, Mar 25, 2011.

1. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

Everyones least favorite part of the year... Week 13. This is when activity starts dying down in the league as we wait for the Conference championship and just recruit the last 2 weeks. So, in the meantime lets go look at Defensive MVP contenders, shall we?

(All stats are thru week 12...week 13 games not included)In no particular order..

western michigan.gif Akeem Mccray CB - 33 Tot Tack 1 TFL 9 INT(leads CUSA) 23 DEFL(leads CUSA in a landslide) 1 Forc Fumb 3 TDs

With the numbers he has, the question has to be asked.. Why would opposing QB's throw at him in the first place? Leads CUSA in INTs, Deflections, and defensive TDs .... a Darrelle Revis clone.

kent state.gif Tyjuan Holden DE - 40 Tot Tack 19 TFL(Leads CUSA) 12.0 Sacks (Leads CUSA) 3 For Fum

An absolute beast... the worst part? He is a true freshman! However, Coach Qwon is known for developing beasts at DE in his system( see one Carter, Adam). Will Qwon's history of developing
    great pass rushers in his system and the fact that he is a freshman hurt Holden's chances?

army.gif Dan Hayward DE - 51 Tot Tack 17 TFL 11.0 Sack 1 Pass Defl 3 For Fum
    Army loses All-American candidate Sherman on defense last year and gains another one in Hayward. Hayward checks in with very similar numbers to Holden except that Hayward is a little stronger vs the run with more total and solo tackles. Is anyone else as happy as I am that Hayward is a Senior? Thought so.

usu.gif Reggie Scott MLB - 69 Tot Tack (51 solo - leads CUSA) 15 TFL 1.0 Sack 6 Pass Defl
    Scott is the true definition of a 'Run stuffing MLB'. All his numbers suggest that his main work is done in preventing opposing RB's from getting yards rather than dropping into coverage and making plays. However, with 6 Deflections and a sack, Scott has made some plays in the passing game as well. What could potentially hurt Scott in the long run is his inability to create turnovers with no forced fumbles or INTs.

idaho.gif Corey Ruffin FS - 67 Tot Tack 45 Solo 4 TFL 3 INT 5 Defl 5 Forced Fum(Leads CUSA)
    My personal favorite candidate - Corey Ruffin, AKA Mr. Do It All, seems to be the jack of all trades. He has a high number of tackles to go along with good INT and Deflection numbers. To cap it off, he has 5 forced fumbles. Not only does he support the run with a high volume of tackles but he forces turnovers and defends the pass. About the only thing this guy doesn't do is sack the QB, but do you really expect your safeties to rush the passer?

wku.gif Adam Landry MLB 53 Tot Tackles 42 Solo 9 TFL 4.0 Sacks 1 INT 2 Defl 1 Fum Rec
    Landry is good at everything, great at nothing. It should be noted that he defends the run and pass exceptionally well... getting 2 turnovers, 4 sacks, and 9 TFL are impressive numbers.

usu.gif Derrick Hampton FS - 64 Total Tack(46 Solo) 4 TFL 4 INT 4 Defl 3 Forced Fum 1 Fum Rec 2 TDs
    Another jack of all trades, Hampton supports the run with a high number of tackles(not too far teammate and CUSA leading R. Scott in tackles). What probably sets Hampton apart from his teammate Reggie Scott is that Hampton gets INTs, forces fumbles, and is responsibe for 12 points through TDs. This true sophomore has a chance to play at the next level with a good 40 time and decent acceleration.

There you have it... the front runners for DMVP. I may have missed somebody important, if you think so you can always let me know and I will go back and check the stats. I'm not opposed to taking votes if you guys want to vote on this... just let me know.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'm sure there's some LB on my team with a few picks and shit ton of tackles, but I dont care enough and am too lazy to look up stats and complain one of my guys is missing from the list

3. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

If I remember right I almost included one of your safeties, he just didnt end up having as good of numbers as some of the other guys.

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

shoulda been a Hilltopper....

5. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Very nice and accurate list Red.

I would like to point out the my CB Clint Williams got knocked out after 6/7 games and is still a thorpe semi finalist (started at #2) with 7 picks, over one per game. My DT johnson got knocked out after 10 games and is a lombardi semi as well.

6. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Nah, wrong guy. I landed two 4-star DEs. I redshirted the guy you were recruiting (Jamaal Mccoy)

7. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

That actually makes me feel better. thanks pal

8. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

McCray=lock down. Sadly he'll probably go pro and I'll lose CB's for consecutive years to the draft.

9. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Im gonna miss Hayward.

10. Steamer43

My 2 candidates are Sophomores (y)

11. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

[​IMG]

12. Steamer43

[​IMG]