Your Approach to the Game of Baseball

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by sawemoff, Feb 4, 2013.

1. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Going through my roster made me think of an idea for some content. What is y'alls approach to the game of baseball?

Mine has always been based on how I have played the game, scrappy. I'm all about gap power, going with the baseball, spray/line driving hitting, sacrifice bunting, being aggressive but smart on the base paths, and playing sound defense. As a coach I want the strongest part of my team to be the catcher, both middle infielders and center field (position I play so I'm biased haha).

Pitching: I look for movement/control over speed. I grew up watching one of the best rotations ever to step on the field (90s Braves). Greg Maddox and Tom Glavine were able to stay in the game as long as they did because they had control and movement. Of course you need that one guy that blows it past em, aka John Smotlz, but even he had great movement and control. I want my pitchers to go after the batter and not dance around the plate for the strikeout. I'll take ground outs and low walks over strikeouts any day.

Hitting: I want my players to make the at bats last to get the opponents pitch count up. I always tried getting the count to 3-2 every time I came up to not only help my teammates get a look (I hit leadoff) but to make the pitcher work. The one thing I hate is when a hitter pulls a pitch from the outer part the plate GO WITH THE BALL and dump it over the SS/2B's in the gap or just flicking down the line. I have never had much power (1 HR in my career) but I like seeing hard line drives.

Base running: Be aggressive and try to make things happen but me smart about it. This comes from watching the pitcher warm up. How is his wind up? What's his arm angle? Is the catcher being lazy when he throws it back? I want my players to think about these things before going to the plate. When getting on I usually watched his slide step once before taking off and when on the base paths if I see one little bobble or hesitation I am taking the next base. Force the issue on the defense and make them make the play.

Can't wait to see what y'alls are!

• Like Like x 4
  2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

This is awesome... Since it's Monday, work is kicking my ass, but I will write my ideas soon enough :)

Let's hear your ryalaman

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Awesome topic.

Just want to add real quick: Kids that can't step and hit to the opposite field also often struggle with breaking stuff.

I'll have to come back with more later.

4. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

My ideas about baseball are simple. I think about whatever PAgamer07 would do. Then I do the opposite of that.

• Like Like x 3
  5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

My approach to the game is clearly wrong as the more that this team looks like my creation and not so much the RL Indians, we've found ourselves in the shitter more seasons than not.

6. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

You need to get rid of that cheap ass owner Dolan and maybe you will have the payroll to make a run.

7. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I'm on his son. Papa Dolan died in like year 2 or 3.

8. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I try to plan my team around skills that will fit my ballpark, since I play 81 games per year there. AT&T Park is difficult on home run hitters, especially left handers. Ideally, I want an outfield with good range to go along with a fly ball staff that doesn't walk many people. Many of the balls that would end up in the seats of other parks become long outs in my park. On offense, I want good OBP guys in the top of the order with guys that can hit balls in the gap in positions 3-6 and maybe some low contact power towards the bottom of the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
  9. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

My approach to team building revolves around defense, pitching, and a guys that can get on base. A good defense behind solid pitchers makes them look even better than they are, and that's what I've tried to create for the Reds. My current team doesn't reflect the emphasis I put into OBP, but my recent draft picks surely do (minus this years 1st round that was auto picked). Park factors also play a role as to how I try to shape a team, so GB% is something useful to look at when playing in the Great American Smallpark. To be honest, in OOTP I don't look a ton at player characteristics, but when drafting will favor similar players if something sticks out (Work Ethic, greed).

10. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Pitching: High ground ball/low walk guys who are going to keep the ball in the park. Su Min Jung and Carlos Perez are good examples of guys we've cultivated in Atlanta to fit this bill. Julio Teheran does as well, but he just happens to be the best strikeout pitcher of the last 10 years as well.

Defense: Rangy infielders that eat up about every ground ball. Gomez, Pastornicky, and Simmons all have at least 9 Range at 2B, 3B, and SS. In the outfield defense is a little more optional, as that's where I look for my offense to come from. Danny Wood is elite defensively, and Reyes is solid as well. Heyward has surprisingly won a gold glove in RF, but he's definitely more known for his hitting. Catcher is another position we aren't overly worried about defensively, and we look more to get a power bat into the lineup there.

Offense: My ideal hitter is high contact/high avoid K. Put every ball into play and put some pressure on the defense to deal with it. We'll typically have a couple of guys that can draw walks, but for the most part it's Contact to the gaps and avoiding strikeouts.

11. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Pitching: I prefer all my pitchers to have high stuff, followed by high control. Movement is optional considering the park we play in does not give up many HR. For my game strategies, unless I am in danger of losing a game we have a slow hook for our SP. We want to see if they can get themselves out of any jams they get in. The bullpen, I have a quick hook and play with a pretty deep group. I always have two setup guys: a lefty and a righty. Finally, I place a solid reliever at the #1 RP spot. The goal is to bridge the gap from the 7th to the 9th innings. And our bullpen strategy is favor lefty/righty matchup. We like to have at least two LHP in the pen. One in relief and one in setup.

Defense: I actually will avoid the player with low defensive skills when I can. Even if the better hitter. I prefer tons of range in CF, my best arm in RF and my worst defensive outfielder in left. Around the diamond, at catcher high cather ability (and hopefully CERA) with a great arm and defensive ratings. First base, I dont focus on defense very much. 2nd and SS high range guys. Finally at 3B a guy with a strong arm. Defense is optional. So basically I favor my strongest defense up the middle: C, 2B, SS, CF. And then build around that.

Offense: I have no preference on the hitting abilities of players. I love guys with High Power, High Eye ratings and always look to grab them if they fit my defensive strategy above. I like a guy who can steal bases but also get on base at the top of the lineup, either a contact guy or high OBP guy at 2 and my best hitter at 3. At 4, I typically put the guy with the highest power. And then 5-9 look for high OBP guys. My strategies are all based around the individual players. Fast guys are agressive on the bases and steal a lot. My best hitters are never pinch hit for. Our strategies in late inning pressure situations are set high for pinch hitters and runners.

12. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Just imagine how many more HRs Bonds would of had.

13. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

HR's, BB's and Power Arms. I also try to tailor somewhat to the ballpark I play in.

14. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I tend to prefer the opposite of my brother, Contact and Gap for hitters and control pitchers.

15. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I'm an amateur baseball fan- so I kinda just wing this whole process. That said, I try to focus on pitching and keeping scores down as much as possible. HR hitters are always nice.