Your most unbeatable 9-Man NBA squad

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Your most unbeatable 9-Man NBA squad

Post the team that you think would be the toughest TEAM to stop, considering everything that team basketball requires. Obviously this is whoever you wanna post but keep in mind it's a team game, you can't put the 8 highest scorers of all time on this squad and expect that together they would be better than a cohesive squad. (AT LEAST IMO!) let's hear yours!

Post the following

Starters -

PG
    SG
    SF
    PF
    C

Bench -

Backup Big -
    Backup Swingman -
    Backup Point -
    Ninth Man -

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

all-time players or just current players? i like this . . .

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

All-time man.

I changed it to 9 guys as I get my list together lol.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

OK so here is my team.....

Starters -

PG - Magic Johnson - One of the greatest winners in NBA History and he gives my squad awesome versatility. Possibly the best passer in NBA history. his creativity and presence would make this team all the more unstoppable. Shares the ball, doesn't have a scorer's mentality unless the team needs him to.

SG - Michael Jordan - The greatest floor player of all time in my opinion. Just an incredible force. He would be the ringleader no matter who you put on this team but with a team that has awesome talent you need one guy who is "the man" and unquestionably it would be him. I think it's a laugh that anybody ever puts Kobe Bryant in his category or mentions the two in the same breath. let's assume that every other part of their game(s) offset each other, Michael shot .497 from the field for his career (!) as a fucking SHOOTING GUARD who took tons of shots. Kobe? .455. Guys that take a lot of shots anchor their teams to that level and Michael's teams always had an awesome FG%. Even in years when Kobe had Shaq on his team (nearly a 60% FG guy) those teams shot a lower PCT than Michael's... even though teams played better defense in Jordan's time and could get away with more physicality. There's no comparison.

SF - Larry Bird - I wanted a guy who was a pure shooter, good passer, and offered cohesiveness to a team. I really couldn't come up with a better one. Oscar Robertson was an obvious consideration but his rebounding really fell off during the later stages of his career, and we'll never know if he was a good outside shooter because there wasn't a 3-point line back then. Larry Legend makes my all-time team. Underrated defender and adds excellent rebounding to my team.

PF - Tim Duncan - It's not an exciting pick, but neither was my second choice Elvin Hayes. Duncan does it all, if you think that my center isn't the most "dominating" low-post force, well we can always pass it to Duncan. Rebounding, blocked shots, winner's mentality... Duncan also doesn't have to dominate the scoring to be happy. Perfect for my team.

C - Hakeem Olajuwon - With Hakeem and Jordan, we have THE two best players in the history of the league at getting off a good shot at any time all by themselves... (Ok I just remembered Kareem... but I like his athleticism more than Kareem). With of course some of the greatest passers and distributors as well. I used to listen to every Sonics game on the radio when I was a kid and when they played the Rockets they'd say this guy's name about 300 times a game. You could say that he wasn't a dominator inside, he was a bit of a finesse guy but as far as rebounding and shot blocking went he was excellent. And his records against the best centers of his day (when there WERE good centers on quite a few teams) is outstanding.

Bench -

Backup Big - Bill Russell - THE best winner in the history of the NBA. Awesome rebounder. If per chance somebody was muscling Olajuwon inside, we just bring in Bill Russell... LMAO. The guy who owned Wilt Chamberlain.

Backup Swingman - Dale Ellis - I feel we have all the defense we could ever need and obviously Pippen would be a great choice here but I still say Dale Ellis is the purest shooter I've ever seen. I wanted a pure scorer for this position, a guy you bring in and he just fills it up. A "microwave" or Eddie Johnson or Ricky Pierce type. Ellis hit over 40% from three-point land despite often times also being the best all-around scoring threat on his teams. For a not-so-athletic jumpshooter that's pretty impressive. Also almost an automatic mid-range shooter and a solid free-throw shooter to boot. With all the threats we have elsewhere he'd probably hit about 45% of his threes. And with the other team sucking in on those other threats his height (6'7 to 6'8) makes it just impossible to get to him before he gets off a shot.

Backup Point - John Stockton - I think Stock had a bit of an underrated career. I mean.... There is nobody CLOSE in terms of assists or steals. Those would pretty much be the indicators of a great PG right? You think nash has had a long and successful career? He has like HALF the assists Stockton had in his career. There's only six players in league history that are within a THOUSAND steals of Stockton! And here's what won the Stockton/Nash debate for me.... Steals: Nash 776, Stockton 3,265. All up in your grill! And the comedy of the tighty whiteys. He's a very good shooter as well which is good for our bench.

Ninth Man - Nate McMillan - The 9th man should be a no-ego guy that can come in if somebody gets hurt. And McMillan was one of the most underrated guys ever IMO. They actually started tracking +/- hoping to find a way to realize his worth to the team when he was there and even when you had Payton on the team this is the guy that led the team in +/-. He's the glue of the team.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

PG-Magic Johnson
    SG-Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    SF-Lebron James
    PF-Akeem Olajawon
    C- Wilt Chamberlain

Bench:

PG: Chris Paul
    Swingman: Kobe Bryant
    Backup Big: Shaq Diesel
    9th Man: Dennis Rodman

This team would be unbeatable just for the simple fact they all play defense (except Kobe, lol). Defense wins games

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Helli, my team would kill yours, lol.

Lebron vs. Bird would be a mismatch. I'd send CP3 to abuse Mr.Stockton everytime he checked in, lol j/p. I'll edit my list with why they made my team after work.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think you have 1 too many dominant scorers that would need the ball in your starting lineup. I think your team would be dysfunctional. And you don't have one single great outside shooter. Hell even Jordan's Bulls had Kerr or Paxson (some of the greatest outside shooters of all time) to help him out.

8. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Starters -

PG - Magic Johnson - Best PG of all time, especially given his size. Insane court vision, could guard at least 4 positions. With him on the floor any team is going to score a lot, fast break nightmare

SG - Michael Jordan - I can't really see how anyone does not put MJ on the floor. Most competitive guy on the floor. Nobody is going to stop this dude.

SF - Larry Legend - Every great team needs a sharpshooter, with Magic and MJ on the floor Bird will see so many open looks and sure as hell more times than not he's going to knock them down.

PF - Bill Russell - I know he's listed officially as a center but he was 6'9 and I like a guy whose primary purpose is rebounding and defense at PF. Like Helli said this is the guy that owned Wilt

C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - My greatest center of all time. He could do it all. Great sky hook. Great defense. And best of all, he was a winner.

Bench -

Backup Big - Hakeem The Dream - I want a skilled big man coming off the bench. Every body remembers the "Dream Shake"

Backup Swingman - LeBron James - I know he hasn't won anything but coming off the bench this dude would be a nightmare.

Backup Point - Oscar Robertson - Mr. Triple Double, nuff said

Ninth Man - Ray Allen - All I need him to do is be open behind the 3 pt line and be ready to shoot.

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Interesting Topic:

Starters -

PG Magic Johnson (avg 11 asst per game for his carreer. This team needs a distributor at the point)

SG Michael Jordan (greatest player ever)

F Julius Erving (one of the best penetrators ever, can take you to the rack from anywhere on the floor)

PF Tim Duncan (Does it all. Can score in the post, can rebound, and can dominate your 4 defensively)

C Bill Russell (Probably the best rebounding Center ever, with him and Duncan in the paint Michael, Magic, and the Dr. would get more 2nd chance opportunities)

Bench -

Backup Big - Shaq (in his prime was completely dominant in all phases of the game except free throws)

Backup Swingman - Larry Bird (also can do it all. A different type of player from Dr. J but can play the 3 or the 4 and can hit the three)

Backup Point - Oscar Robertson (One of the best PG's ever. Avg 25 -7-9 for his career. Could start in place of Magic, those two are almost interchangeable)

Ninth Man - Reggie Miller (The starting lineup has good shooters, but doesn't have that one guy that can make it rain from three, so Reggie gets a spot on the pine for this team.)

10. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

PG Magic Johnson
    SG Mike Jordan
    SF Larry Bird
    PF Karl Malone
    C Shaq

1 Reggie Miller SG SF
    2 Kareem C
    3 Lebron SF SG Point Forward
    4 Pistol Pete Point Guard

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

pg - magic
    sg- mike
    sf- larry
    pf- duncan
    c- olajuwon

back up pg- jason kidd

back up big - wilt

back up swing- kobe

9th man - robert horry

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

PG Lebron
    SG Jordan
    SF Kobe
    PF Duncan
    C Dwight Howard

Bench
    Reggie Miller
    Magic
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Big Shot Rob

To big, athletic, and dominating. Teams would be dumbfounded. None of the starting 5 could be closed to stopped 1 on 1

13. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I like any man that includes Mr. Horry on his team can't find a better 9th man I dare you!

14. Hova

You gotta have someone to hit the big shots in the title game when your star is being plastered. Rob has done it his whole career, right ahead of fisher

15. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Kobe and Jordan in the same lineup, that would be INTERESTING.

16. Hova

I might even put rodman in over duncan.

Lebrons big ass on point with kobe and jordan to his right and left who can knock down any shot regularly. Dwight and Rodman completely dominate the boards. What other 5 men could stop that?

17. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I'm just saying they don't really compliment each other well. On paper yes very formidable lineup, but it's much harder to defend a team that fully compliments each other. The beauty of this discussion is not one person is 100% right. Just offering my opinion.

18. Hova

Ya that's true. People say stars can't play together but they never really have tried it because of the salary cap lol

19. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Thats not true Rick Fox played with Alaa Abdelnaby in Boston in 1993. They were both superstars no?

20. Hova

LOL Paul Pierce and KG play together now too, but they are not on a level of Kobe and Lebron

21. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

My starters would smack 'em around, lol.

I'll put my Lebron on your Lebron
    Jordan on Jordan
    I would put Magic on Kobe (cancel each other out, Magic would do 'em dirty in the post. Kobe will settle for jumpers which he'd knock down)
    Akeem "The Dream" will shake Mr.Fundamentals outta his shoes. Young Akeem was one of the most graceful big men of all time IMO
    I won't even tell you all the things Wilt will do to Dwight "Around Yo Lips" Howard which includes adding him to "The List":HoosierHoo:

It'll be close series but we'd take it in 6....

PS-Thanks for not putting Larry Bird at your 3(y)

22. Hova

You can't clone my starters lol

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Great list, I'd pay SO MUCH MONEY to see any of these teams play (even though I haven't watched one second of an NBA game since Stern looted Seattle of their team). You accounted for every aspect of the game, this team would be unbeatable, thanks for joining in the discussion :thumbsup:

24. Hova

I don't think guys from the 60s and 70s could hold up with the newer stars. People today are stronger and faster and that is Fact. New knowledge and ways of training make you smarter, plus new strategy used in games. Teams winning championships now would trash the old championship teams from the 60s

25. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I like Helli's 9 the best, and I think it's laughable to think that Dwight Howard would be on any such list. His offense is a joke, and he's terribly foul prone. If he had to play Hakeem in his prime he'd foul out in about 15 minutes, if you don't believe me go back and look at what the Dream did to the Admiral back in the day, and the Admiral was a better defensive player than Howard is.

Also, I'm shocked that nobody has Pippen anywhere in this list. He would be on my bench for sure, one of the best defenders of all time, consumate team guy, great passer and could score and shoot from the outside when needed.

My 9 would look like this:

PG - Magic
    SG - Jordan
    SF - Bird
    PF - Garnett
    C - Hakeem

Bench - Pippen, Lebron, Isaiah, Shaq

The key to my 9 is that Jordan and Hakeem are the primary scorers. Magic is the floor general leading the break and he and Bird are more than capable shooters at the 3 and both are among the best passers of all time. Magic is a bit of a liability defensively against smaller guards, which is why I have Isaiah on the bench to match up against small quick PG's. KG is a great individual and team defender and has shown he's willing to sublimate his ego for the greater good. He also can knock down the jumper out to 20 feet to keep the defense honest.

With a bench of Isaiah, Pippen, Lebron and Shaq, there is the possibility of matching up with any possible opposing lineup if needed. If we want to go lockdown on defense, we put in Thomas/Jordan/Pippen/Lebron/Hakeem which could shut down anyone.

And anyone who thinks Bird couldn't defend never watched him play, in his prime Bird was a great defender due to his tremendous on court IQ.