Zone vs Man Debate

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by pbates86, Dec 11, 2010.

1. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

How much is TOO much man coverage?

I'd just like everyone's opinion on this...

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I would think more than 75% of one basic scheme or concept is too much. I know this year most are running almost 100% man but it is againts OMFL rules to do this. Mix it up and not by just running a different Man coverage play out of a different formation. Mix some zone concepts,some zone blitzes. Running cover 2 every now and then isnt gonna kill anybody, it will make for a more enjoyable gaming experience for both involved.

OMFL is NOT a win first league. We are here to play Sim style football. Running man coverages 90%-95% of defensive snaps is not Sim-style football.

3. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

I try both, niether work though

4. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

hahah sammy yes.... Believe it or not, i went to the lab and the zone and man ratings actually mean something this year. 97 spd CB with a 60 man cover rating wont keep up with a 90 spd receiver in man coverage and if your putting anyone in zone with a zone rating of 70 or below, he will more or less look at the WR/TE/RB in his zone and only react when the ball is thrown which is usually a couple seconds too late.

Homework everyone! Create a "fantasy scrim team" of DBs, Safeties, and LBs with low overall ratings but 90+ zone ratings and then play exclusively zone for a little bit, it reminds me of how madden 10 zone used to dominate

I went from 90% zone in madden 10 to id say 25% zone in madden 11. Zone till works, but for it to be effective, you MUST drop 7-8 in zone and pray that AI dont get ya!

5. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

just thinking about it now, im in complete violation of the mix it up rule, My DTs and DEs always rush the passer, every down every game.............. sorry guys ill mix it up more lol

6. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

I find that playing zone surprises your opponent and can create mistakes...So I call it pretty frequently...probably about 50/50 for me. So few guys call it that I think they they forget what they do when the see it.

It seems that man + good manual user defense on drags or crosses makes moving the ball almost extremely difficult. I'd guess that thats how all the top defenses in this league operate.

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I user the DE/DT. I call about 65% man (been reevaluating my numbers lately) and don't do any user audibles of any type other than DLine shifts or LB shifts.

I think I'm a top end defense in the league. So I fall into an exception. :)

8. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

Funny, Im Still a 50/50 guy when it comes to zone/man

Im not talking 2 deep cover man either
    im talking all zone. Actually use more zone blitz schemes if anything. I like to give the same looks for man and play zone. If I do anything in practice, its to mimic the man looks so I can play zone behind it

9. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

I meant to add, you can't play straight zone. you really do need to throw some heat unless you can get pressure with your front (manually I am assuming. Im not capable of doing this). Somtimes the Dline will do this but not often enough so adding some pressure to get the ball out quicker helps.

10. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

alot of ppl think that cover 2 man is a zone play, which it is not. Dont look at your safeties or LBs and see a zone for one of them and think its a zone play. LOOK AT THE CBs, if they are in zone coverage then its 100% a zone play.

On dat note, i would think there would be a ton more combo coverage than really is in the playbooks, i make combo coverages out of zone cover 2 by hotrouting the CBs into man on the WR 1 and 2. If there was a play already set up like that i would i die a happy man.

11. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

Ox there are a couple. You have to search high and low for them though lol. My time in scrims is spent trying to get quick enough to get those defensive hot routes. I get screwed a few times as people like to run the blur offense!!

12. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

I haven't defensive hot routed since PS2.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I VERY rarely use defensive playmaker audibles (defensive hot routes). I use mainly Dline shifts/coverage audibles/LB shifts to get done what I need done. Rest is playcalling based on tendencies shown.